Ph.D. Program in Clinical-Community Psychology
Offered Jointly by the University of Alaska Fairbanks and the University of Alaska Anchorage
1. What kind of Joint Ph.D. program does UAF-UAA offer?
The Joint Ph.D. Program integrates clinical and community psychology and focuses on rural, indigenous, and cultural psychology with an applied emphasis. The program uniquely combines the spirit of clinical and community psychology. As such, it places strong emphasis on non-traditional service delivery and social action, as well as clinical service delivery to individuals, groups, families, and communities.
2. Can I get training in clinical psychology?
Clinical psychology is one of the focus areas of the Joint Ph.D. Program. As such all graduates will have the requisite knowledge and foundation to become licensed clinical psychologists.
3. Can I get training in community psychology?
Community psychology is another focus area of the Joint Ph.D. Program and as such all graduates will have the requisite knowledge and foundation to become community psychologists.
4. Is the Joint Ph.D. program only looking for applicants who want to live in rural Alaska?
The Joint Ph.D. program is looking for applicants who are interested in serving the needs of the State of Alaska, which includes not only the major hub areas of the state but also the rural communities of the state. Applicants from out of state, who demonstrate their commitment to rural and indigenous psychology are also encouraged to apply.
5. Is the program distance delivered?
No, the program is not a a distance delivery program. Although the courses are taught via videoconference, students admitted into the program must be in residence in either Anchorage or Fairbanks.
6. Does the program train one-on-one psychotherapists?
The program is designed to meet the current psychologist licensure requirements in Alaska, however, the program is not designed to train one-on-one therapists. While the program does train one-on-one psychotherapists, the primary mission and goals of the program are to train students to be skilled in rural clinical-community practice; the program leads to license eligibility as a psychologist.
7. What is the deadline for Ph.D. applications?
Complete applications, including letter of intent, references, vitae, transcripts, criminal background check, must be received by the two program coordinators by February 1 to be considered for entrance in August of the following year
8. Can I be accepted in the spring semester for the Joint Ph.D. Program?
No, the program admits students only once a year, to begin in the fall semester.
9. Will my application be considered if it is submitted after the deadline? Will my application be considered if it is submitted to only UAA or UAF?
No, the program does not consider application received after the deadline. Applications packets only received by one of the two campuses are considered incomplete and will not be considered.
10. How many applications are received by your program? Of those, how many are recommended for admission to the Joint Ph.D. Program?
The program receives about 50 applications each year. Of those no more than eight (8) are offered admission into the program per year. Four (4) will be resident at UAA and four (4) will be resident at UAF.
11. What is the application fee?
Total application fee is $120 (one $60 check to UAF and one $60 check to UAA).
11. Is the GRE Subject test required?2
No, submitting GRE scores is at the discretion of the applicant. Generally students submit GRE scores when their GPA is right at the 3.0 level.
13. How may I apply to your program?
Two application packets must to be submitted, one to the Program Coordinator at UAF and other packet to the Program Coordinator at UAA. Both application packets must be identical and contain the following documentation:
UAF Application Form
Application fee payment
Psychology Program Supplemental Application
Letter of Intent
Reference Rating Form and Letter of Support from THREE Referees
Self-addressed stamped postcard
14. What address should I send my application materials to?
Physical Address for UAF for FedEx:
Fairbanks, AK 99775
15. Does the program offer pre-doctoral interships?
P.O. Box 756480
|UAF and UAA are an affirmative action/equal opportunity employers and educational institutions.|